Some examples of signals from mom:
- Do your standard base turn and end up facing the runway on final
- Fly parallel the runway and end up closer to it at the end than the beginning
- Fly your planned heading and end up visibly off course and correct to get to waypoint
- Fly next planned heading and end up 5 miles north of planned position pointed at the wrong airport
- Plane really doesn't want to stay on the centerline no matter how much rudder(?!) you apply
- Turn base using normal timing and find yourself too high or too low
If any of the above apply to you, especially if more than one happens in the same flight, you are ignoring the signs from mom telling you the winds are not what you think they are and you had better start adjusting. Keep ignoring those signals and you might find yourself in for a rough landing or maybe even landing at the wrong airport entirely!