Thursday, January 22, 2015

2014 to 2015 and Random Thoughts

It's been quite a while since I last posted. I've been very busy to say the least. At the moment I am resting after finishing another practice run of the CFI/AGI written test. Got 95% in practice and the ones I missed were stupid mistakes, not lack of knowledge, so easy to fix.  In any case, I wanted to share with you a brief recap of my flying accomplishments last year and plans for this year. 

2014 Accomplishments
  • Earned my Commercial Pilots Certificate
  • Logged 147.5 hours total time (including some B737 time!)
  • Got to 600.5 hours total time logged before the end of the year
  • Passed the Fundamentals of Instruction written test with "flying colors"

2015 Goals
  • Earn Advanced Ground Instructor Certificate
  • Earn Flight Instructor Certificate
  • Fly to Utah and New Mexico for the big family reunion
  • Meet my friend Alan's new Bonanza
  • Meet my friend Rick's C172 with her new interior and paint job
  • Fly to one airport I've never flown to before each month

Of the above goals I think visiting one airport I've not been to each month will be the hardest goal to achieve. I've just become so busy with my work, trying to be a good mom, training for CFI and helping out at the flying club. 

A brief note about my flight instructor training. As you know, I've been flying from the right seat now and working on getting up to commercial standards performing all of the long list of maneuvers that a CFI has to master. None of the maneuvers are new to me, so far, but the act of trying to perform them perfectly and analyze at the same time hasn't been working for me. It's been quite frustrating in fact. So, my instructor is trying a new tactic. I'm confident that if this doesn't work, something will. 

I gotta tell you, sometimes its hard to train with someone that makes the very difficult look so incredibly easy. Easy for him. Not easy for me. It reminded me of a quote from Isaac Asimov. 

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

When I went searching for that quote I stumbled across another one...

True delight is in the finding out rather than the knowing. 

I like that one, a lot. I'm definitely not in the knowing position right now, but I have the opportunity to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment